Everything is meaningless...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

THE EVOLUTION OF BETTY BOOP!!


After watching many Betty Boop cartoons on YouTube (thank God for technology!!) I have found that the original Betty Boop from the 1931 Betty and Bimbo cartoons looked much different! She looked more like this:












This is an early Fleischer cartoon from 1930 starring Bimbo and featuring the character who would soon become Betty Boop.




You should see some of the comments that people posted on this cartoon on YouTube!!

Thejeep2000
Thanks for this.......didn't know Betty Boop did this song before Popeye and Bluto.........great surreal stuff......the doors...sofa and Bimbo diving into it...the cat gossips.....and they were only playing draughts :) reminds me of Roger Rabbit with them playing pattercake pattercake...
You tube is the best to see early cartoons....now if the computer turned into a telly.I can see this happen with You tube.......anyway thanks again laughland


Sha4me
i always thougt that betty boop had a relation with popey but i think i forgot cauz i was very young


twistedstiletto
Barnacle Bill! ^_^ One of my favorite Betty Boop classics! I have this one on DVD...also, a lot of classics where Betty was a dog =) Thanks for putting this one up!


LoveTHYconan
insanity. :D


Tsubahi
Delightfully cheesy!


lastangelman
I hadn't seen Barnacle Bill for over twenty five years, not a bad copy, thanks for posting this classic on YouTube!


dukeyflyswatter
Man she's got a rack on her. Eat yer pie?! Beezar. Thanx


chiro9
boop boop a doop betty looks better as a dog


virgokitty
Gotta love me some betty.
Anybody old enough to have smoked hash back in the late twenties or thirties? Must have been some potent stuff.


MKFaizi
That spread leg dance at the window is quite astonishing and the way she rolled in the sofa. I am amazed that my parents let me watch this sort of thing. They did not let me watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents but I used to sneak out into the hallway and listen to it anyway.


smurfswacker
Isn't that Betty singing backup at the end when they do a little of "Minnie the Mermaid"?

I can't figure out why Fleischer cartoon characters just muttered random bits of dialogue instead of speaking normally. And the villains always just said "RRrrrarrrgrr" no matter what they were doing at the time.


Larynxa (1 week ago)
The muttering was because Mae Questel (who voiced Betty Boop & Olive Oyl) and Jack Mercer (who voiced Bimbo, Grampy, Wimpy, Popeye, etc.) improvised a lot during the recording sessions. There's no way the animators could synch the lip movements to everything that was said, so the mutterings were a short cut to cover this up.


hamfat54 (1 week ago)
The actors in Fleischer cartoons were improising the dialogue live to a screen (along with the musicians in the studio). Because they often thought of funny things to say when the characters weren't moving their lips they would mutter asides under their breath.



I think its kind of interesting getting people's reactions to her cartoons. Some think she is HOT while others clearly dont ('she looked better as a dog'). I kind of think she was cute, and then became hotter with time. That also might have to do with my perception of hot, from what I have grown up with in the media, etc. I want to get people's reactions on the different styles of drawings of Betty Boop. How did she go from a French poodle to a sexy girl??:




















(Devon Aoki as Betty Boop)


(Betty was made into a Roy Lichtenstein looking comic thing on a coaster!)

Merchandise with Betty Boop's image on it is sold everywhere...but do people really know who she is or where she came from? I didn't!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home