Everything is meaningless...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Well, today I pretty much spent the entire day gathering information about Betty Boop in every way possible...or at least every way that I have thought of so far. I have done surveys (at least 20 now...and many more to come!) and I have watched several vintage cartoon animations on YouTube (which is so fabulous, I love it!) and I have visited fan sites and informational sites alike. I have also done some studying of Mae West and Helen Kane...two of the women who inspired Betty's look. I have also downloaded and listened to many of Helen Kane's songs, which I like very much (and I am finding out that this project has many perks- because now I know of a style of music that I like, and have never heard of before!). So, now that I am all booped out, I am going to bed....but tomorrow I plan to study more about Helen Kane, and her lawsuit against the creator's of Betty Boop. I also want to learn more about how the cencorship laws screwed up Betty's sexual image.

Doing all this research has kind of changed my idea and given me some inspiration. I wanted originally to do a documentry on film, but now (since I couldn't get a camera from school) I have done surveys over the internet, and found a new direction. I am thinking of trying to alter Betty's image to fit today's standard of sexuality/beauty. Most people said she wasn't as sexy as Jessica Rabbit or Aeon Flux. Most people also had a derogatory comment about her overly large head. I might want to do some more research on how I can make my own new version of Betty Boop that might be more visually pleasing according to today's standards. Hmmm something to think about. I also breifly sketched a Betty Boop head on an anorexic girl's body- just to be a little provocative. Seems like what people think is beautiful today is stick thin, sized 0 girls with their ribs showing....well not good ol' Betty. Betty was a normal sized girl with an hourglass figure. She looked hot. Haha. Anyway, I want to see what people's reactions would be if I put that up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home